Monday, October 28, 2013

Anne

Today is hard, my heart is broken, and I am not doing OK

I had a friend, a very dear friend.  She made me laugh; she inspired me; she taught me how to look for joy.  She would tell me she was scared, she thought she was not strong, but I did not know anyone more courageous than her.  Life knocked her down and she experienced much loss and pain, but she kept on going because her heart was full of love and she needed to share it with others.

After a twenty year battle with lymphoma, and many remissions, Anne left us on Sunday.  She touched so many people and it can be said that to know Anne was to love her.  I last spoke to her on Wednesday and her voice was strong, which always gave me hope, even though I knew that time was getting shorter. I expected the phone call would come, but I always hoped for a miracle.  The miracle, though, had already happened.  In her life she had made bad days good, made the hardest heart smile, and innocence real.

Anne was a beautiful person in all ways.

Most of us live lives that may seem unimportant on the world stage. We don't think great thoughts, make great discoveries or invent the next big thing.  We live quietly, suffer annoyances, bare up under pressure, and relish the good times we get.  The years pile up and sometimes the days might be more about enduring than enjoying. Too many of us cloud our lives with negativity but we all have a choice on how we color each of our days. My friend, Anne, was always a bright yellow light, birthdays were always happy birthdays, and she was grateful for each moment of her life.  She made a difference, her thoughts were sweet and kind, and good times with her were the best.  They say it is not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years.  I say it is also measured by those whose lives you touch and I, and those who knew Anne, were touched by an angel.


30 comments:

  1. Having recently lost a friend whose mind was, to me, an enchanted pool, Arleen, I extend my sincere condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful and moving tribute to your friend. She sounds like a truly remarkable person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful tribute. i am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful friend, and she has left yellow light behind with all her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne sounded like a great inspiration and wonderful friend. I am sorry for your loss it sounds like you will miss her dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arleen, it has all been said above. So sorry to hear of your loss but hers was, obviously, a life lived well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Arleen, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a blessing to know people like your friend, but it's so terribly painful to lose them. At times like this, that old, "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" saying provides little solace. I hope writing this heartfelt tribute to her helps you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arleen, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds like an inspirational person. Holding you and her family in my thoughts and prayers. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind words. My heart is with Anne's large family whose loss is great. All of us who knew Anne were truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss Arleen. This was a wonderful tribute to your dear friend, and I'm sure that you were a big help to her.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Arleen, this tribute to Anne is so lovely. Poignant. Touching. It captures the essence of this woman who was/is your dear friend. I am so sorry for your loss, but I trust that the memory of her essential goodness and sweetness will remain with you always. To have touched the lives of others with goodness is to have been a true gift to and from the Universe. Amen and Alleluia. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely tribute. i'm so sorry you lost your friend :(
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing that will ease the loss of a friend who replenishes your heart and soul. The only tattered comfort to be found is in the years shared, the memories made between you both and the certainty that she made a difference. Your words are the declaration that she changed the world for the better - and what more can any one of us strive and hope for from our lifef?

    Still, the separation is so painful - I hope with time you find your joy again - that's what she'd want for you, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tribute to Anne. She sounds like a wonderful person. I feel for your pain in separating from her. Somehow it is never really possible to come to terms with a separation except over time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My empathy at the loss of your dear friend, Arleen. A beautiful, emotive tribute.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry, Arleen. That combo of strength and sweetness is rare and noble. They say the death of a good person is easier but I think it makes it harder to lose them. A little light leaves the world with them.. Take care of yourself, dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss and I will be thinking of you in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beautiful tribute to your friend. It is hard to lose a dear friend and I am sorry. It is hard for the one left behind, but then, to have known such a person as your valued friend is also a great joy which will always stay in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am very sorry for your loss. You have made me see the joy a life can bring.
    I am sure you are sad now but you will always be able to remember what a splendid woman she was and how she enriched all she touched. You have given her love in return; I am sure she too appreciated you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Arleen,

    And with gentle reflection, you cherish the life of your beloved friend, Anne, as Anne cherished life and bestow gifts on love on others.

    In peace and condolences,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne had a dear friend in you. Your words praise and endear her to all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry for the loss you have suffered and my prayers are with all her family and friends. You shared many wonderful moments with Anne, which will continue to live on through beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so very very sorry for your loss of such a dear friend. I lost mine a few years ago. It is so hard. I will be saying a prayer. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to hear about you losing your friend. It just doesn't seem fair. What a beautiful memory you have that you've written here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne was a wonderful friend. I'm so sorry she is physically gone from your life. You do, however, have wonderful memories. I hope you continue to cherish those.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You need to start blogging again old friend x

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my BEAUTIFUL Anne......lived a life "well lived". That is enough.
    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete