Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Retirement -An Accounting

Spring has arrived and I'm doing OK

Getting my move and groove on.

I have been retired for almost 4 months now and am taking inventory on what I have accomplished.  I had this mental list of cleaning out the basement, the closets, the cupboards, painting, volunteering, putting my affairs in order and having an organized life;  you know, the fun stuff.  I was beginning to feel a failure as little of that had been accomplished.  I did go through some closets and put together four or five bags of clothes that I would never wear again and had hubby take them to Goodwill.  I started working on the basement and assembled some groups of good stuff I did not want anymore and bad or old stuff that no one would ever want.   I then pointed hubby to it and asked him if he would dispose of them when he had time.  He has done most of his part, and only about 1/4 of it  remains. Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg of the basement, but it is a start.   As for all the other things on my list, they still remain as goals.

I was speaking to my friend Kathy last night and we were talking about my post on the perks of being over 60.  When we spoke about the things we needed to do, the word and song Manana came up and we both remembered this from our youth.  While we congratulated each other for "remembering" something that old (no problem with that, it's 5 minutes ago that I am having trouble with), we laughed at it's meaning.  I have fond memories of my mother singing it often, "The window she is broken and the rain is coming in, if someone doesn't fix it, I'll be soaking to my skin.  But if we wait a day or two, the rain may go away and we don't need a window on such a sunny day, Manana, manana, manana is soon enough for me."  It is a happy tune, and might I add, words to live by. 

I have accomplished some things though but most important,  I have learned how to breathe - an all important factor of life they say.  Through my walking every day (formerly jogging - my lofty ideas have had to come down a notch due to injuries and age) has built up my stamina and my energy level  is so much better (once I get myself going).  Last year at this time a walk around the block would tire me out and I would be panting; now I can easily do six miles and feel fine.  I have also become somewhat adjusted to the solitude I find myself in now.  My life had been about social contact with people as I had worked a great deal of my life and raised a large family.  For the first few months I mourned that loss and it was very difficult.  Now I am getting out more and am pushing myself to start a brand new life.  I know that with spring and more sunlight to inspire me, I will start to bloom.  I have also learned to appreciate my "alone time" and I am looking at it as a gift to enjoy.

So, four months in and my scorecard is really not too bad.  I have written this blog that I have enjoyed (it is my journal), and I have met some new and interesting friends through it.  This transition has been healthy for me.  I still aspire to accomplish many of my goals and do more planning (and follow-through) on my future, as after all, manana is the future.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikUCavp2yA

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are more things in life than a duster and a full rubbermaid tote of donations....That fact hit me on day 2 and I haven't looked back since. Congratulations on enjoying your retirement...it only gets better.

    ReplyDelete