Friday, January 7, 2011

My Retirement, Day 5

Day 5 and I am doing ok.  Notice the ok is in small letters today.  I'm mixing it up, I feel like being wild and crazy.

The other day I noticed that I was wearing unmatching socks; one was black and the other black and brown striped.  My goal for that day was to find at least one match.  I did not want to set the bar too high and finding the match for 2 seemed a little lofty. As I was searching through the container of unpaired items that sits on top of the dryer, I realized I would never find the black fuzzy one.  A light bulb went off in my head (a monumental moment lately) and I remembered that last year while emptying out the dryer, I came across this flat grizzly item that looked like road kill.  After checking to see that my black cat was still around, I realized that what I held in my hand was the fuzzy sock and it had melted.  It must have been made with some funky material and probably had washing instructions, but who would look for washing instructions on socks. I am curious why I have the other one though.  So my goal for the day went unfulfilled, however, I do still have to find the brown and black match, so I have something to look forward to.


We got some snow this morning; this is the day I have been waiting for.  I NO LONGER HAVE TO GO TO WORK. .  For the past five or so years I have been inflicted with snowitis.  I shake at the site of a flake, but only when I have to drive (or have "hubby drive).  However, I am cured now; I look at this lovely white snow with a new and peaceful attitude.  Retirement is de bomb!  I hope I used that expression correctly, I am trying to stay up to date on pop culture. 


Well, the weekend is here; funny thing though, in retirement, everyday seems like Friday at 4:30.  I might have to get a white board like they have in hospitals and have hubby write, Good Morning, today is Monday or whatever and the date is ....., your husband is Bob


Time to think about going back down to the basement and look at my nice neat piles again, but what about that sock I was going to look for.  Which is more important.  Decisions, decisions!



2 comments:

  1. I have a real challenge for you. In my basement laundry room are a large rubbermaid bin and 2 large pillowcases full of unmatched socks that have been collecting for years. I actually fool myself into believing that the day may one day come when I will have the time, (and desire) to attempt to find some matches. The colored ones aren't so bad because they are not so numerous and more easily matched, but in addition to those, there are probably upwards of 200-300 single white socks of varying styles, ankle, crew and even some knee highs, just waiting to be reunited with their match.
    The ridiculous thing is that we keep buying new socks and really have no need for any more, so I don't know why I don't just throw out all of the unmatched ones. It is a sickness, I guess. I am a sock haorder. I hate to throw out something that might still be good, and someday, yes someday, I might get to it. So now that you have retired, I could pass the project on to you. Think of it as my retirement gift to you. Of course, I really don't want any matched sets back. I could donate them to charity, although to be truthful, they are not all in good shape. Despite my best efforts to keep my floors clean, most of the white socks are a little grey around the bottom, which just makes the whole situation even more ridiculous. Perhaps they could be used to polish furniture or cars or something else, but then there is really no need to find their matches is there? Maybe they could be dyed and made into sock monkeys. Now there is something you could do. You could create sock monkeys out of my socks and sell them on a web site such as Etsy. The profits could be used to fund winter trips to Florida along with all of the other retirees.
    Just let me know when you want them and I will box them up and send them to you.
    I realize that first you have to tackle those piles in your basement, so I will hold on to them for a little while longer. By the time that I am ready to retire, the fabric will probably disintegrate and all that will be left in the bin is cotton dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment above was written by my sister Marybeth. We are thinking of starting another blog named "Socks, Right or Left"

    ReplyDelete